Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Summer fruits: Enjoy them while they last

I'll admit it. I get lazy come summertime. The last thing I want to be doing is sitting behind a hot stove, especially when it is above 90 degrees outside.

Instead of my usual steel cut oatmeal in the morning, I've found myself gravitating towards the delicious fruits that are available this time of year. One can find local strawberries, blueberries, cherries, peaches, apricots and nectarines at your farmers market. I like to dice them up and eat in a bowl. Sometimes I will add some yogurt or granola or mueslix, depending on how hungry I am.

There is something wonderful about seeing the bounty of what nature has to offer in my little green bowl. Such beautiful colors. I feel immediately grateful to all the hard work that was put into making and delivering this beautiful produce to me. I am a rich man.

Suddenly the summer heat feels instantly more bearable.

Integrative Nutrition