Saturday, March 13, 2010

Recipe: Polenta Breakfast Triangles

I was really proud of myself this morning. I wanted to make something sweet and different from my usual steel cut oats or oatmeal pancakes, so I decided to get creative with polenta, which had been sitting in my pantry for quite some time.

Making polenta is similar to preparing any whole grain. It's often served savory, but it also works great as a sweet dish. When cooked it will appear like a porridge, but given a few minutes it will harden and form the shape of any baking pan or bowl. I chose to serve mine with toasted walnuts, ground flaxseed and maple syrup. It also would be great with strawberries and blueberries. Oh summer, can't you come a bit sooner?

Here is my recipe. Enjoy!

Serves 3

3 cups water
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 tbsp of butter
1 cup dried polenta (finely ground cornmeal)
1/2 cup walnuts, toasted
3 tsp ground flaxseeds
maple syrup to taste

1. In a medium saucepan, bring 3 cups of water and salt to a boil. Add 1 tbsp of butter until melted.  Then slowly add polenta and reduce heat to medium low. Make sure to stir frequently for about 20 minutes, watching carefully. If left unattended, polenta will splatter! When it stops bubbling taste to ensure doneness.

2. Remove from heat and transfer to a small square 8x8 baking pan. Let sit here for 5-10 minutes until it hardens. Then cut into 8 triangles.

3. In a cast iron or frying pan use the remaining butter to slightly brown polenta triangles, 2-3 minutes on each side. Serve on plate with toasted walnuts, ground flaxseeds and maple syrup. Yum!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi,
Great bfast idea....my husband is trying to avoid wheat and oats! I saw your article that mentioned Dosa. We've tried to make them with out success. Do you have a no-fail dosa recipe you can share?

JoseG said...

Just tried these. Very nice! I think I'd like to add some orange peel or cinnamon for a breakfast dish, but we made them for breakfast with a homemade blackberry sauce, sweetened with agave. Yum indeed! Also, since we had some left over, we had it for lunch with zucchini pasta. Great, versatile recipe that I can't wait to remake!

Ameet Maturu said...

Hi Jose, glad to hear you've enjoyed the recipe! It's been a while since I've made that dish, I'll have to make it again, especially with all the delicious fruit we've been getting.

Susannah said...

Oh my gosh, I absolutely love polenta and have never thought to use it as a substitute for french toast :) This sounds so yummy, I am going to try it this weekend while on vacation!

Integrative Nutrition