Friday, August 29, 2008

Recipe: Zucchini nut bread

I've officially designated the last week of August 'Zuchinni Week!' It seems I've been inspired with the ingredient this week. Or perhaps it is just cause I've got so much!

This recipe was inspired by another great blog Au Naturel. I love it cause it uses a combination of almond and chickpea flour (yes, gluten-free!). And instead of sugar uses agave nectar, which is a milder, natural sweetener made from the agave cactus (the same plant tequila comes from). Very moist. Very delicious. I am sure you will enjoy!

Makes 1 loaf

1 1/2 cup zucchini (1 medium zucchini grated)
3/4 cup chickpea flour, sifted
3/4 cup almond meal
1 1/2 eggs
1/4 cup butter
3/4 cup agave nectar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp masala powder (or ground cloves, nutmeg, cardamom)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
1/4 cup raisins (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a loaf pan with butter.

Grate zucchini using food processor or box grater. Press grated zucchini with paper towel to absorb excess moisture.

Combine all dry ingredients in bowl (i.e. chickpea flour, almond meal, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, masala powder). Be sure to pass chickpea flour in sifter.

In large bowl, beat butter and eggs until creamy. Continue to blend while adding agave nectar and vanilla extract. Fold in grated zucchini.

Add 1/3 of dry ingredients to wet ingredients. Stir to combine. Add remaining mixture. Mix well, make sure no dry clumps remaining. Add walnuts and/or raisins if desired.

Pour batter in loaf pan. Bake 40 minutes in oven. Immediately remove loaf and let cool. Note: cake will appear partially uncooked. That is okay...this is a moist cake! Continuing to cook will make this too dry.

5 comments:

Cacahuete_sr said...

thanks for your nice comment! i'm so glad you tried the recipe and liked it. if you would like to try another gluten free option you may want to try teff flour (although I think that bakes slightly dryer than other flours). I'm so glad you lead me to your blog because I am also very interested in holistic health, I'll be sure to be a regular reader!! :)

Deb Schiff said...

Very nice!

Claudia Davila (Fran) said...

Thanks for directing me to this recipe, it looks so delicious! A sweet treat compared to my savoury quickbread :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Ameet,
I can't wait to try this recipe! I'm always looking for gluten-free options and the fact that it's sweetened with agave is even better!

BTW, where do you find masala, I've had a hard time tracking it down. Thanks!

Ameet Maturu said...

hi wendy, if you can't find the masala powder i would just substitute with equal amounts of ground cardamom, cinnamon, and cloves. i am sure your version will taste great regardless!

Integrative Nutrition