Friday, November 7, 2008

Recipe: Chilaquiles (Mexican Brunch)

mexican brunchFor those looking for new inspiration at breakfast or brunch, this dish is for you. Chilaquiles, is yet another traditional Mexican dish that has found its way into my kitchen.

I remember this dish fondly from my days in San Francisco. On Saturday mornings, I'd line up with the others at the Primavera stand at the Ferry Building Farmers Market to get my fix.

I was inspired to make this dish as I had a package of stale corn tortillas sitting in my freezer. Its taco days were numbered, but potential still remained in chip form. So I cut up the tortillas, lightly fried them and served with scrambled eggs, black beans, poblano peppers, onions and cheese. The results were simply delicious.

Try and let me know what you think!

Serves 1-2

2 eggs, beaten
8 oz black beans (1/2 can), drained
2 corn tortillas, cut into eight pieces
1 poblano pepper, diced
1/2 white onion, diced
1/2 tomato, diced
2 oz shredded jack cheese, sour cream or labne (yogurt cheese)
juice of 1/4 lime
1 tbsp olive oil or butter
2 tbsp coconut oil or canola oil

First, fry the tortilla pieces. Take a cast iron skillet and bring to medium high heat. Add coconut oil and when hot, add the tortilla strips. Lightly fry for a minute or so, making sure to flip over. Remove from heat and let cool.

In a separate pan, saute the onions and poblano peppers in olive oil over medium heat. Cook until onions have softened. Remove from pan and set aside on separate plate. In the same pan, add a bit more of olive oil and bring heat to medium-low. Add egg mixture and scramble, until fully cooked. Fold in the cooked onions and peppers as well as the black beans. Cook for another two minutes or so. Mix in fried tortilla strips.

Serve on plate with shredded cheese or sour cream. Garnish with diced tomatoes, cilantro and lime juice. Enjoy!

No comments:

Integrative Nutrition