Sunday, February 15, 2009

Soy yum - tips for great marinated tofu

Tofu is one of those foods that found me later in life. I never ate it much growing up, but now it is something I always seem to have in the kitchen.

Since it's a great source of vegetarian protein, I thought I'd share a few thoughts and a recipe on how to make really great tofu.

Here are my thoughts:

1. Buy the good stuff. The secret to all good cooking starts with good ingredients. I choose Bridge Tofu, which is made by hand in Connecticut using a kettle cooking process. Look for organic or non-GMO soy.

2. Use a cast iron skillet. I bought one on Amazon some time ago for under $20 and it is probably the best investment I've made for my kitchen. I've used it countless times and it browns tofu and other foods very well. Be warned it is likely you may develop an addiction - eating the tofu right out the pan.

3. It's all about the marinade. Tofu alone doesn't have much flavor, but absorbs that of the marinade. I like to go with Asian flavors and mix up a quick marinade using tamari, maple syrup, turmeric, garlic, and Sriracha hot sauce.

Here's my recipe - great eaten on its own or over a stir fry.

1 block firm tofu, patted dry
2 tbsp tamari
1 tsp maple syrup
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 squirt Sriracha sauce
1 tbsp coconut oil

Cut tofu block into quarters lengthwise. Slice into thin rectangles (1/2 inch in width).

In large bowl mix tamari, maple syrup, turmeric, garlic, and Sriracha sauce. Add tofu and mix until well coated. Let sit for 20 minutes.

After tofu is done marinating, heat coconut oil in cast iron pan over medium high heat. Add tofu. Cook for about 7 minutes on each side, until brown. Remove from heat.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

This tofu marinade was quite good and I had all the ingredients laying around. Thanks for the great idea!

Integrative Nutrition